Monday, March 26, 2007

Food, glorious food!



I enjoy eating! And I enjoy eating GOOD food. I will not hesitate to go out of my way to get the food that satisfies me. I will drive miles just to try the food recommended by fellow "makankakis" , especially if it comes highly rated! I will queue up and wait for the food that I want. Why do you think my favourite blog pages are usually food blogs or food related websites?


During my younger days, I would wait for more than an hour for the famous Odeon Beef Noodles (now called Hwa Hing Beef Noodles). Sadly, they do not make them like they used to now. During my courtship days, my hubby and I would drive all over just for that one dish. We had our own little makan safaris during weekends. When we were living in New York City, we would rent a car every weekend, and brave the traffic jams just to satisfy our cravings for good Singaporean food. And for those food that we could not find there, I would try to cook it myself. I even risked a smelly flat to make my own sambal blachan in our apartment - much to the disgust of everyone in the block (they could smell my blachan for miles!!)


Though I am not fat, I do not believe in wasting calories. If it does not taste good, I would rather throw it away then torture myself eating it. As a result, you could say I am fussy with my food. Fortunately I have been blessed with a mother-in-law who is a very good cook! (my friends call her "Iron Chef".) Our dinners most evenings are usually 10 course dinners (or close to it). It is such a blessing to see such delicious food on the table every day, knowing that I will enjoy almost everything on it.
When I was young, I used to be a fussy eater - hated vegetables, refused to try new food, only wanted the same old comfort food. (No wonder my kids are like that). I am not sure when it all changed. Now some of those foods which I hated when young, rank among my favourites - eg bittergourd, liver (esp goose liver), vegetables(!!). So I guess there is hope for my kids.

Being exposed to good food from young (those lucky kids!), they are real picky eaters. My 2 year-old told grandma one day, that the macaroni soup she cooked that day was yucky! Guess what, mother-in-law admitted that she was distracted that day and had left the macaroni in the pot a tad too long. Hence it was over-cooked and not al dente!! As a result, I sometimes have problems when we are invited to friends homes for dinner. The food is sometimes not the tastiest or to my kids liking. So as a result now, when we are invited out, I usually feed them 1st, so I do not have to worry about it !
My kids may be the only kids in school that do not buy from the school canteen. They would rather Mum pack their lunch boxes, coz I usually ensure that they do not have the same thing twice in a week, and it is usually something they enjoy. It could be sausages, donuts, cup cakes, wafers, cookies, bak kwa, long stemmed strawberries, blueberries, mandarin oranges, etc. And there is usualy variety in the snack box too, usually 2 different items. As a result, their packed snacks are usually the envy of their classmates. I have had my daughter (when she was younger) coming home asking for two or more servings of school snack. I know she is quite a small eater, so I was surprised. When queried, she said that her friends wanted a share of it too!! Everyday!! I had to put a stop to it. Cant be feeding other peoples kids everyday, or the whole class may be asking for it before I know it.

Our family has been very lucky. We are able to enjoy all the good food that we want, when we want. We have eaten at some of the best restaurants in Singapore and around the world. And, We thank God for that blessing!

No comments: