Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Wedding Anniversary Gifts

Tradition has it that wedding anniversary gifts should follow a certain format according to the number of years of marriage.

Traditional Anniversary Gifts by Year
1st - Paper
2nd - Cotton
3rd - Leather
4th - Fruit/Flowers
5th - Wood
6th - Candy or Iron
7th - Wool or Copper
8th - Bronze or Pottery
9th - Pottery
10th - Tin

There are also modern equivalents.
1st - Clocks
2nd - China
3rd - Crystal/ Glass
4th - Appliances
5th - Silver ware
6th - Wood
7th - Desk sets
8th - Leather
9th - Lace / linen
10th - Diamond

Looks like the modern is more generous, huh?

According to the modern equivalent, I should be receiving furniture/watch this year. Imagine, receiving furniture from my hubby as a wedding anniversary present?!? Where would I put it? Too much clutter around the house already.

If I could choose, what piece of furniture would I want? Hmmm, maybe one of those massage chairs, since I do not have much time to go to the spa for a massage. But - ditch the furniture, and give me *bling*. Anytime. Needs little space, and I can always find some place to put it. (No, this post is not a hint to my hubby!)

Coincidentally, hubby got me a watch just last week. And it was not an anniversary gift. Or at least I dont think it was meant to be or he would have kept it until the day to give it to me.

So, what would you be getting (or did you get) this year?

3 comments:

Shannon's Mummy said...

We stopped buying presents on anniversary/birthdays for each other long time ago.. boring ya? We will just have dinner at restaurant to celebrate. Or for example, if I want to upgrade my camera, I request and buy it after the special day.. LOL

stay-at-home mum said...

Hi Shannon's Mummy
Yes, we stopped exchanging gifts too, and we also go out to celebrate with a dinner. As for me, I simply go out and buy whatever I want, if I want it. The watch wss quite a surprise for me!!

bp said...

SAHM,
Is your anniversay here already? Maybe your husband has another gift for you, in addition to that lovely surprise of the watch! =)

I wish for God's richest blessings on you and your beloved, and many, many more great years ahead =)