Tuesday, September 4, 2007

After the storm, a rainbow

Last month was the summer vacation month for those from the US and UK. I managed to meet up with quite a few friends who were visiting “home” from those countries. But I missed meeting up with one particular friend, SB, from London – I just did not know she was back.

SB and I worked in the same office some 22 years ago. We worked together on a couple of assignments and I remember her as the girl with the big eyes and a bright smile. She was also a fun loving girl. Being in her company never failed to bring a smile to anyone's face. I had lost touch with her for quite a long time (20 years?)– after she left the company we worked for. One of our friends told me about her condition only in June this year, and gave me her email. SB had breast cancer and was undergoing treatment. She was feeling down. I felt compelled to get in touch with her, and have been communicating with her via e-mail since.

She e-mailed me just today to let me know that she had been home for one and a half weeks in august, but was too pre-occupied with things here to get in touch with me. Her mum had passed away the day before she arrived here. I really felt for her, as she only managed to return to Singapore after her last chemo session in London. It is really so sad. She had mentioned to me (in an earlier email) that her mum had a stroke not so long ago, but due to the medical treatment she was undergoing, she was not in a position to travel home to see her mum. And her mum passed on a day before she got home! What could be a bigger blow?

Like they say – it never rains but it pours. For her, it must have been a terrible thunderstorm! But I pray that the worst is over for her. For after every storm, a rainbow will appear.

Lord, please watch over her and her family. May she feel your hand upon her, renewing her body and refreshing her soul. Give her the strength to trust you and put the present and future in your hands. Amen.

SB - I am sure the worst is over for you. Be strong, I want to see the "old" you the next time I get to meet up with you. Take good care of yourself. God Bless!

9 comments:

Jonzz said...

Gosh... I feel sorry for her. Good thing she has a friend like you in this times and you guys manage to get in contact.

Anonymous said...

I will pray for your friend SB too.

eastcoastlife said...

Oh dear. I'll pray for SB too. You are a good friend. In moments like this, support is very important.

bp said...

God bless SB, and it must be so nice to have been able to contact her after all these years.

NomadicMom said...

Sorry to hear about your friend... Hope she sails through her ordeal with no further blows.

KellytheCulinarian said...

Friends are really all that can help you get through it.

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with SB and her family. I am sure two of you can meet up soon.

KopiSoh said...

If you can please hop over for I have something 4 u!

stay-at-home mum said...

Yes, I really believe that peer and family support is really crucial in times of sickness and can help pull someone through.