Thursday, August 23, 2007

Shut Up!

Should a teacher use the words "Shut up" on her students?

My son has been complaining about his math teacher shouting those words all the time. He said that she uses it on everyone, and many times throughout their math class. He does not like it at all.

I am a little disturbed by it too. I have told my kids not to use those words as it is rude. What more a teacher using those words? Cant she use: "Be quiet", "No noise please", "Stop talking", "silence" or just "Stop it"?? Or simply stare at the child until he stops talking? ... that killer look works, you know?. I think using "shut up" too frequently loses its effect. (Hmm, maybe that's why she is a math teacher - has limited vocab ..haha... couldnt resist it. Sorry!).

My daughter tells me that "shut up" is the new "be quiet" as her teacher sometimes says "Please, shut up". Can you beat that??

I believe that "shut up" should be used sparingly, and only by the truly exasperated, frustrated, fuming mad mum that is at wits end!! ....ok, and only maybe sometimes by the teacher too!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reminds me. Used to have teachers that use words lie "stupid"...
Do you think it's appropriate?

NomadicMom said...

I would say NO! What's with the language these days???

KellytheCulinarian said...

That is so inappropriate! We weren't allowed to say shut up to each other, let alone the teacher saying it to us.

Victor said...

"Shut up" is too direct and abrupt. I guess that's why it sounds rude. I had a more tactful teacher who said, "You talk faster than you think." (Not directed at me, of course.) And the phrase was just as effective as "shut up".

Jonzz said...

Sigh, if the teacher uses it, the student would learn it. Definitely a NO-NO

Anonymous said...

No, this word should not be used on children.
Till today, my daughter still doesn't use the word shut up because I brought them up to think that is a rude word. :)
So, yes, teachers are not being good examples if they use that word in front of children.

iml said...

The teacher must have had a bad week.

bp said...

"Shut up please" is a new one, but oh dear, that doesn't make "shut up" sound any better, not at all. Could it be that the teachers are highly stressed?